The sale, distribution, and dispensing of liquor is a privilege in Morton Grove that requires a great deal of responsibility and full compliance with the law. Any business that sells, dispenses, offers, or distributes liquor (including beer and wine) is required to hold a valid liquor license. The following types of liquor licenses are available to local businesses.
|Class A - full liquor
||Alcoholic liquor sales for on-site consumption. Sale of Liquor must comprise 50% of gross sales of establishment, or establishment must have 400 sq. ft. dedicated bar area. Package Sales for off premise consumption allowed by special permit.
|Class B - beer & wine
||Beer and Wine sales for on-site consumption. Package Sales for off premise consumption allowed by special permit.
|Class C - clubs
||Sale of alcoholic liquors for on-site consumption in authorized fraternal or veteran’s club
|Class D - full package sale
||Sale alcoholic liquors, only in original packages for off-premise consumption.
|Class E - restaurant, full liquor
||Sale of alcoholic liquor for on-site consumption at a restaurant as defined in Title 12 of the Village Code. Package sales for consumption off the premises allowed by special permit.
|Class F - food/specialty stores; full package sale
||Sale of alcoholic liquors, only in original packages for off-premise consumption at an establishment where the principal business is gasoline, groceries or drugstore items, and is not the sale of alcoholic liquor.
|Class G - special event
||Liquor sales for on-site consumption at event lasting five (5) days or less organized by an educational, fraternal, political, civic, religious or nonprofit organization where the sale of alcoholic liquor is incidental to the main purpose or function of the event.
|Class H - caterers, full liquor
||Liquor sales by licensed caterers for on-site consumption at the private function only; food service must accompany liquor sales.
|Class I - caterers, beer & wine
||Beer & wine sales by licensed caterers for on-site consumption at the private function only; food service must accompany liquor sales.
|Class J - temporary sale
||Sale of alcoholic liquor by holders of a Class A, B (beer & wine only), C or E license at a designated location for on-site consumption for a limited period not to exceed 3 days
|Class K - temporary tasting
||Serving of small quantity of alcoholic liquor by holder of a class A, B, D, E or F license in conjunction with a sales promotional effort.
|Class L BYOB
||Consumption at a restaurant of wine and beer not purchased from the restaurant but brought to the restaurant by a customer
|Class M Microbrew Pub
||Manufacture of beer and sale of alcoholic liquor for consumption on the premise and sale of beer manufactured on the licensed premise at retail for off premise consumption
|Class N Video Gaming Café
||Sale of alcoholic liquor in video gaming cafes for on-site consumption. A Class N licensed premise must have least 1,500 but not more than 3,000 square feet of public space and have a maximum table seating capacity in the dining area of twenty-five persons.
In addition to an initial application fee, the holder of a liquor license must pay an annual license fee. The Village retains the privilege to limit the number of each type of license available. Liquor licenses may not be sold or otherwise transferred.
Noteworthy Liquor Regulations
• All applicants, business owners, and key personnel are required to be fingerprinted and are subject to a background check to verify their fitness to be issued a license.
• All liquor license holders must have at least $1,000,000 in insurance.
• Liquor licenses will not be issued to premises located within 100 feet of a house of worship, school, hospital, or home for aged, indigent persons, or veterans.
• No liquor is permitted to be sold or consumed between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM on weekdays and Saturdays and between the hours of 3:00 AM and 10:00 AM on Sundays. BYOB service shall occur only between 3:00 pm and 11:59 pm.
• All licensed premises shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition
• All Class D & Class F licensees and all licensees who has video gaming terminals on the licensed premise shall install and maintain in good working order video recording and monitoring equipment pursuant to specifications as determined from time to time by the Chief of Police and shall maintain video recordings for a period of at least fourteen (14) days after each sale.
• All managers and persons engaged in the sale or service of alcohol must possess a valid alcohol education and training certificate issued through a state licensed BASSET program within the past three years.
• No gambling is permitted in a licensed premise except where permitted and licensed by Illinois State Statute.
• All licensed premises shall be unobstructed/unhindered and immediately accessible to law enforcement officers
• No license holder or employee shall sell, give or deliver alcohol to any person under the age of twenty-one
• No license holder shall sell, give or deliver liquor to an intoxicated person or any person known to be an alcoholic
• No person shall sell alcoholic liquor to any person who appears to be under the age of thirty-five (35) without first requiring said person to furnish a valid State of Illinois picture I.D. or driver’s license, or U.S. passport
• No licensee shall permit any employee or any person under the age of twenty one (21) to sell, serve, handle, draw, pour, or mix any alcoholic liquor on the licensed premises.
All lands, buildings, establishments, or place where any unlawful sale of alcoholic liquor is conducted, or where alcoholic liquor is sold or served and which is also used for illegal purposes including the sale of unlawful drugs, lewdness, or illegal gambling, prostitution, or is otherwise detrimental to the peace and well-being of the neighborhood is declared to be a public nuisance
See Village Code Section 4-6D-14 for regulations for licensees operating video gaming terminals
For more information, click here to review Title 4, Chapter 3 of the Village Liquor Control Ordinance
To apply for a liquor license, click here and/or please contact the Administrator’s Office at (847) 470-5220.