Since 2014, the Village has offered facade improvement grants for all commercial properties in the Village. The program seeks to revitalize the commercial districts by encouraging investment through public/private partnership. This grant can be used to improve the exterior storefront and signage of commercial buildings. You can download program guidelines using the link below:
2023 Facade Improvement Program Guidelines & Application
What is a facade? A facade is the exterior storefront of a commercial building.
How does this program benefit the larger community? Communities implement a facade program to help create a more dynamic atmosphere for customers by assisting businesses/owners revitalize their building storefronts. This type of program enhances the appearance of a shopping district and helps attract new customers. It also acts as a tool to attract new businesses while assisting existing businesses improve their storefront, add artistic features associated with their brand, increase store appeal, and add value to the shopping experience. Visually appealing storefronts contribute positively to the streetscape and help create a more walkable atmosphere for customers to enjoy.
How does the program work? The program is a matching grant program for all Morton Grove businesses. For businesses and property owners in a general commercial district, the maximum project grant award is $10,000. For businesses and property owners located in a TIF District, the maximum project grant award is $15,000 for rehab work and $10,000 for new construction.
Are you ready to apply? If your business is prepared to partner with the Village:
- Contact the Department of Community and Economic Development at 847-663-3063 or by email at email@example.com to determine if your proposed improvements qualify for a grant award.
- Review and complete the Program Guidelines & Application. The guidelines provide a detailed explanation of the project requirements, eligibility, and grant distribution.
- Submit your complete application to Village Hall (attn: Department of Community and Economic Development, 6101 Capulina Avenue, Morton Grove) or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read, complete, and sign a participation agreement provided by the Village.
Awarded Facade Improvement Projects
The Village is proud to have partnered with businesses that are investing in their long-term success in Morton Grove. Equipment International and State Farm both renovated their storefronts with new signs and siding to increase the curb appeal of their business.
- Lavitt Animal Hospital (8541 Ferris Avenue) updated the building's exterior in 2022 by removing a deteriorated carport and overhang, rebuilding the gable roof, and restoring existing masonry (before and after below).
- Burt's Place (8541 Ferris Avenue) was awarded grant assistance in 2021 to replace aged and damaged siding with James Hardie plank siding. Windows and doors were also repaired and painted.
- Tommy's on Waukegan (9005 Waukegan Road) was awarded grant assistance in 2020 to install new siding and trim, and replace older awnings.
- Equipment International (8778 Ferris Avenue) completely updated the exterior of the building when they relocated laundry equipment business from Skokie. The work included replacement of the siding, new signage, and cleaning and tuck-pointing of the existing masonry (before and after below).
- Matt Mitchell's State Farm Agency (9140 Waukegan Road) was awarded funding through the program for improvements to the exterior of the existing office building. Improvements included removal of the old awning, installation of new signage, replacement of existing siding, and painting of the existing masonry (before and after below).