What is the typical breakdown of recycling by material type?
While this breakdown can vary the following table presents the typical mix of single stream recyclables.
How do I properly prepare my recycling materials?
- Non-paper materials and paper materials may be commingled (mixed together) in the recycling cart.
- For automated collection, carts must be kept 10 feet from parkway trees, and 4 feet from other carts.
- Flatten all corrugated cardboard boxes and paperboard/chipboard in 2' x 2' sections, and remove any non-paper packing material.
- Materials that exceed cart capacity may be placed in paper bags and placed beside the cart.
- Contact Groot to replace a damaged or lost cart.
- Do not place recyclable materials in plastic bags nor use plastic or silver duct tape.
- Crush cans to save space and recycle more.
Single-Sort Recycling Program
Unlimited recyclable materials are collected on your primary day of service. Materials do not need to be separated and are separated at Groot’s recycling processing plant. Please place only approved items in the recycling cart. The collector is trained to check the contents of the cart. If there are foreign materials present, the cart will be left with a violation notice.