The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requires that all public bodies make public records available to the public, subject to certain exemptions.
The designated Freedom of Information Act Officer for the Village of Morton Grove is:
Teresa Hoffman Liston – Corporation Counsel
6101 Capulina Avenue
Requests for records may be mailed to the FOIA Officer, submitted in person at the Morton Grove Village Hall, 6101 Capulina Ave during normal business hours, emailed to the FOIA officer or faxed at 847-965-4162
The Village and/or the Village’s FOIA Officer will respond to requests within five business days or twenty-one days for commercial requests of receipt by the FOIA Officer of the request in one of the following ways:
• Approve the request
• Approve in part and deny in part
• Deny the request
• Give notice of extension
• Provide the requestor with an opportunity to appeal a response
A requestor must inform the Village if a FOIA request is going to be used for a commercial purpose. It is a violation of the Act to attempt to procure a public record without disclosing that the use is for a commercial purpose. For requests for commercial purposes the Village has up to twenty-one (21) days to respond with an estimate when the request will be completed and the fees associated with it. The Village may require the requestor to pay in full before copying any documents.
Requests from the news media or non-profit scientific or academic organizations are not classified as a request for commercial purpose if the purpose of the information is to:
• Access and disseminate information concerning news and current or passing events
• Write articles of opinion or features of interest to the public.
• Use for the purpose of academic, scientific or public research/education.
Appeals for denials may be submitted to the Public Access Counselor at:
The Public Access Bureau
Office of the Attorney General
Public Access and Opinions Bureau
500 South 2nd Street
Springfield, IL 62706
The following services charges apply as follows:
The first fifty (50) copies of letter or legal size in black/white are free.
• After the first 50 pages, the charge is: $0.15 per page
• Color copies: $0.40 per letter/legal page
• Certification fees: $1
• CD or DVDs: $20
• Audio or video recording on CD/DVD: Village actual cost
• Oversized documents (not letter or legal): Village actual cost
Public Records – On Demand The following is a list of documents that do not require the submission of a FOIA request and will be granted on site to the requestor:
• Village Board Meeting Agendas
• Village Board Meeting Minutes
• Village Commission Agendas
• Village Commission Minutes
• Municipal Code Book
• Public Notices/Bid Notices
• Village Annual Budget Documents
• Village Newsletter