The Village only accepts applications and resumes in connection with specific advertised positions. Applications and resumes are not kept on file. If there is an advertised position you would like to apply for listed below, please click on the corresponding link for more information.
Lateral Entry Police Officer
Salary and Benefits:
Terms, benefits, and other conditions of employment for Morton Grove Police Officers are governed by Village policies and the current CBA. Effective Jan 1, 2022, starting salary is $72,072, with a top pay of $100,400 reached in five years. Lateral entry officers may qualify for starting pay increases. Officers who have completed two years of prior service as an officer will start at Step 2 of the CBA’s salary schedule ($76,499 Jan 1, 2022). Officers who have completed four years of prior service will start at Step 3 ($84,669 Jan 1, 2022).
In addition, the Village provides excellent fringe benefits including a pension plan, other retirement savings options, and health, dental, and life insurance. Officers are also eligible to earn annual vacation time, paid holidays, and floating holidays. The Village also provides officers with a uniform allowance of $850 per year. Officers are eligible for up to $2,400 additional longevity pay for years of service.
Current Police Officer Work Schedule:
8 hour work schedule. Assignment to permanent patrol shifts. 6 days on duty, followed by 3 regularly scheduled days off.
Patrol Officer, Evidence Technician, Breathalyzer Operator, Range Officer, Defensive Tactics Instructor, Tactical Medical Instructor, Peer Support Team, Community Liaison Officer, Tactical Officers, Detectives, Field Training Officer, Juvenile Officer, Traffic Officer, Major Crash Assistance Team (MCAT), North Regional Major Crimes Task Force (NORTAF), Northern Illinois Police Alarm System (NIPAS), and the Narcotics and Currency Interdiction Team (NARCINT).
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Certified as a State of Illinois Law Enforcement Officer by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board; Status as a sworn officer in an Illinois law enforcement agency for one year after completion of a probationary period and have been with their respective law enforcement agency within the State for at least 2 years;
- Currently in good standing in the police department in which the person serves or in a layoff status due to municipal financial constraints;
- Possesses substantially equivalent skills and abilities as a non-probationary Village of Morton Grove Police Officer, as determined by the Village and outlined in the relevant job description;
- Possesses an Associate’s Degree or 60 semester hours of credit from an institution accredited by the US Department of Education;
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position and have the ability to pass such examinations and testing as deemed necessary to determine individual’s ability to perform as a Village police officer including, but not limited to passing the Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) Test; and
- United States citizen, at least 21 years of age, and possess a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
Application packets are available online here. Applications should be completed utilizing the online form.
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 PM on Sunday, November 7th, 2021. The Village must receive a completed application and all required documents by this time in order for you to be eligible for further consideration.
Applicants who successfully meet the qualifications for lateral entry will be screened by Department personnel. A list of recommended candidates will be submitted to the Board of Police Commissioners for consideration of oral interviews. Oral interviews are expected to be scheduled 3-4 weeks after that time.
Applicants who successfully complete the oral interview will be required to undergo a background investigation and polygraph. Should the Village provide an applicant with a conditional offer of employment, the applicant will be required to complete a psychological examination, as well as a complete physical examination and drug test. Any hired applicants will be subject to all relevant Morton Grove policies and procedures, as well as any applicable collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
Questions concerning this application process can be addressed to the Human Resources Department, 6101 Capulina Avenue, Morton Grove, Illinois, 60053; or at: email@example.com
The Village of Morton Grove, Illinois is a mature near-north suburb of Chicago with immediate access to interstate, public transit, and recreational trail networks. Residents enjoy the comforts of suburban living, access to 400 acres of Cook County Forest Preserves, a mix of small businesses and national retailers, a short commute to Chicago’s Loop, and a community rich in diversity. Today, over 40% of residents were born outside of the United States, an increase of over 7% since 2000.
The Village is seeking a Principal Clerk to provide analytical and administrative support for the Finance Department including cash receipting, water billing, accounts receivable/payable, tracking of various taxes, customer service and other operational functions. The Principal Clerk also works closely with the Assistant Finance Director in the accomplishment of routine Finance Department tasks.
The Principal Clerk will, under the direction of the Assistant Finance Director:
- Assist with various duties as assigned.
- Perform operational duties including accounts payable, utility billing, payroll, and special projects.
- Perform front desk customer service functions including cashier duties and the processing and response to customer inquiries and complaints both in-person and via telephone.
- Provide feedback to the Assistant Finance Director regarding department processes and tasks.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of a high school diploma and have experience in cashiering, balancing, and customer service or a related field. College degree preferred. Prior municipal experience a plus. The following knowledge, skills and abilities are required:
Excellent communication skills as well as strong mathematical and analytical capabilities, proficiency in Microsoft Office (emphasis on Excel) and Adobe operations as well as other Village software and customer service. Fluency in English required.
- Clear and professional writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgement
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of customer and employee information
- Ability to effectively problem solve and to prioritize and multitask to meet objectives and established deadlines
- Ability to develop functional skills related to utilizing other Village software specific to departments/tasks in which responsibilities lie. (i.e. Freedom of Information software, ticket & code enforcement software and other finance software).
Salary range $44,627 - $57,730 DOQ. IMRF pension and excellent benefit package included.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications accepted until position is filled. Full Job Description.
Cover letters should be addressed to the attention of Hanna Sullivan, Finance Director.
Resumes and cover letters may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (include “Principal Clerk” in the subject line) or mailed to:
Village of Morton Grove
Attn: Human Resources
6101 Capulina Avenue
Morton Grove, Illinois 60053
Public Works Part-Time Under 1,000 Hours Position
The Morton Grove Department of Public Works is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Part-Time Maintenance Worker.
Regular mandatory hours for part-time Maintenance Workers are 8 hours a day, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. An opportunity to work more hours will be presented when available but are limited to 1,000 hours per year.
Duties include but are not limited to assisting Public Works Crews performing work of routine difficulty in manual labor involving physically demanding unskilled task; performs related work as required.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a High School diploma or Training and G.E.D. and possess a valid Driver’s License. Successful candidates must be in good physical condition & able to work in all outdoor weather conditions. All applicants are required to undergo a background check, physical examination and drug screening prior to employment.
Starting pay is $14.00 per hour.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to work regular weekly hours and after hour, weekends and holidays if needed.
- Team player and ability to interact well with others.
- Valid Illinois driver’s license and clear driving record.
- Ability to obtain a CDL Class B License within the first 2 months of employment.
- Candidate must pass a background investigation medical exam and drug screen.
- Submit your application, disclosure form, cover letter, resume and a copy of your high school or college diploma via e-mail to email@example.com.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, August 31, 2021
- Faxed or hard copies of the application packet will not be accepted.
- All communication regarding the hiring process will be sent via e-mail. All applicants must provide a valid e-mail address.
The Village is seeking a new Fire Chief after the retirement of its current Chief. The Fire Chief is appointed by the Village President and reports to the Village Administrator.
Part-Time School Crossing Guard
The Morton Grove Police Department is accepting applications for the position of School Crossing Guard.
This is a seasonal, part-time civilian position with no benefits. Salary is $14.25 per hour and work hours are one hour in the morning between 7am-9am and/or one hour in the afternoon between 2pm-4pm in the afternoon. Please note that due to the quarantine, work hours may vary depending on school assignment.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, high school graduate and able to work outdoors in varying weather conditions. Must be able to work with children and able to instruct them in the need of crossing streets in a safe manner. Must hold a valid Illinois driver’s license and clear driving record. Must pass a background investigation, polygraph test, medical exam and drug screen.
- Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. or mailed/dropped off at the Morton Grove Police Department at 6101 Capulina Avenue, Morton Grove, IL 60053.
- Application Deadline: Until filled.
- For questions or more information, please contact Records Coordinator Claire Siau at 847/470-5200.
- Click here to download the application packet.
The Village of Morton Grove is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Check back in the future for new Morton Grove employment opportunities.